Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a popular condiment in Hawaii, but you can use it wherever you are. It goes great with rice and Asian-style dishes and it's easy to make. Remember to keep it refrigerated to preserve the flavor and color.
- 4-8 small dried hot red chili peppers
- 9.85 ml rice vinegar
- 2 quarter-sized slices fresh ginger, bruised
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut into thin strips (or you can leave it whole)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 473.18 ml hot water (not boiling)
- Combine the ingredients in a clean and sterilized pint (500 mL) bottle or jar. Pour in about 2 cups of hot water and let the mixture steep at room temperature overnight.
- Refrigerate in the morning.