From Sam Choy's "Island Flavors" The Macadamia nut crust keeps the chicken moist and adds a rich nutty flavor. You can also use the crust for fish.
- 20 chicken wings
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb (Japanese Panko)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the Marinade
- 1⁄2 cup light soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- Marinade: Combine ingredients.
- Marinate chicken for 1 hour, turning occasionally, then drain.
- Combine nuts and bread crumbs.
- Dredge chicken in flour, dip in beaten eggs then coat with nut mixture and chill for at least 1/2 hour.
- In a heavy skillet, heat oil and butter and sauté chicken over medium heat for 6-8 minutes turning once, adding more oil if necessary.
- Garnish and serve.