Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Must use fresh pineapple.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (3 -3 1/2 lb) chicken, cut up into serving pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 12 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into small chunks
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet white wine
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; add the chicken; brown lightly on all sides; transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms to the skillet; season with salt and pepper; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until softened; remove pan from heat.
- Layer half the vegetables and half the pineapple chunks over the bottom of a 2 to 2 1/2 quart lightly greased casserole dish.
- Arrange chicken pieces over the vegetables and pineapple.
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce and honey; brush the chicken with this mixture.
- Layer the remaining vegetables and pineapple over the chicken.
- Mix the pineapple juice and wine together; pour evenly over the top.
- Cover and bake in a 350° oven for about 1 hour or until the chicken is tender.
it was just the recipe i was looking for the kids loved it and so did my husband and i. we used tinned pineapple because the shop was out of fresh pineapple. i also used 1/2 of the soy honey mixture and instead of brushing it on the chicken i poured it over for extra flavour. i also used drumsticks for the kids, next time we make it we are going to add some cornflour to thicken the sauce and see ho that turns out. 5 stars as it was wonderful. THANKYOU !
The smell while this was cooking was excellent. The prep time was a bit shorter than posted. However, the taste once cooked was not what the smell was leading up to. We had this with rice and even that did not help. Sorry NurseDi, I guess this one just wasn't meant for me.