Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Quick to prepare, this meal combines veggies, pears and pineapple with chicken. You can substitute canned sliced water chestnuts for the cashew nuts the next time you make it. Recipe can easily be doubled. Always be sure to use ripe pears if not using canned.
- 4 fresh Anjou pears or 4 canned pears
- 1 lb chicken, sliced into 2 x 1/2 x 1/2 inch strips
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- Core and slice pears, if using fresh. Sauté chicken in butter 3 to 5 minutes or until juices run clear. Drain pineapple; reserve 1/3 cup liquid.
- Add pears, pineapple, green pepper and cashews to chicken; heat thoroughly.
- Combine brown sugar, cornstarch, reserved pineapple liquid, water, vinegar and soy sauce in saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture thickens; cook 1 minute longer. Pour sauce over pear-chicken mixture and toss gently. Warm to serving temperature.
- I sometimes add extra white sugar to sweeten it to my liking, and always double the sauce.
Very tasty and easy to make. I had a bumper crop of pears so I have been looking for ways to cook with them. I also added white mushrooms (had some that needed to be cooked right away). That worked well with this recipe. I served it with Minute Rice Multi-Grain Medley with a pinch of saffron- delicious!
This is awesome! Will use this instead of my old Hawiian Chicken recipe. Doubled the recipe and it was perfect amount. Used canned pears, instead. Served with Easy Fried Rice #20643 and we are all stuffed! Have tried several of your recipes SM and this is another great one.