Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My family loves this recipe,it was given to me in the early 60's We have it 2 or 3 times a year
- 1 whole skinless chicken, cut up or 8 -10 chicken thighs
- 8 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 tablespoon salt
- 5 tablespoons sherry wine or 3 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained,save liquid
- 1⁄2 cup additional pineapple juice
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup sliced thin carrot
- 1 small green pepper, cut in strips
- 1 small onion, cut in wedges
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- Mix: soy sauce,sugar,salt, sherry& ginger.
- wash, skin& dry chicken.
- Rub with the above mixture, refrigerate atleast 1 hour.
- Drain chicken,but save marinade.
- In lg chiken fryer add oil to barely cover bottom.
- heat to med.
- Add chiken& brown on one side,turn over& add garlic.
- Brown chicken on other side.
- Add marinade,pineapple& water, cover& simmer 1 Hour.
- Add veg simmer covered tell veg are tender but still crisp (10) minutes.
- Serve over hot rice.
- If you desire you can thicken juice with a little cornstarch.
I made this with white wine instead of sherry and freshly grated ginger. My husband and 18 month old son loved it and asked for seconds. Thanks!
I made this without the sherry. It turned out good. My whole family loved it.
I thought my boyfriend was going to lick the bowl. Only thing I added was some asian chili garlic sauce and some ground red pepper for heat...Cuz we like it HOT ;)