Recipe by Shuzbud
This makes a really nice change from pizza. The classic ham and pineapple combination works beautifully here.
Top Review by Chocolatl
This is wonderful. The cool, sweet taste of the pineapple made a delicious contrast to the saltiness of the ham and cheese. Next time, I would bake it a little longer to cook the dough more thoroughly, and I would cut up the ham instead of using slices. Extremely filling, and a great change from the same old same old. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT Witchin Kitchen Antarctica challenge.
- 1 (10 ounce) packagedry pizza dough mix
- 1 cup ham, cubed or sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups pineapple, cubed
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Prepare the pizza base as directed on the packet.
- While it rises, cut the pineapple chunks into smaller pieces if you are using canned pineapple chunks.
- In a bowl, combine the pineapple with the ham and cheese.
- When it has risen, divide the pizza dough into four even portions. On a floured surface, roll each piece into an 8-inch round.
- Beat the egg and brush the edge of each base with beaten egg.
- Spread pizza sauce over each base. Top with even portions of the filling over half of each round.
- Fold over the dough and press the eggy edges gently to seal.
- Crimp the edges of each calzone to thoroughly seal (I like to roll the edges as you would for a Cornish pasty).
- Brush each calzone with beaten egg.
- Lay the calzones carefully on a greased pan and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden and cooked through.