This broccoli slaw gets its sweetens from a combination of pineapple and brown sugar while getting it warm balance from the Oelek Chili Paste. I put a flex amount of mayonnaise as my family does not like there slaw over dressed and others may prefer a creamer slaw.
- 12 ounces broccoli slaw mix
- 1 tablespoon Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 -4 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek chili paste
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple (if you prefer a sweeter slaw use the whole can)
- 1⁄3 cup dry roasted peanuts, very rough chop (more if you like)
- In a bowl whisk together the brown sugar, mayonnaise, lime juice and chili paste.
- Stir in the pineapple and broccoli slaw.
- Allow to chill at least an hour for the flavors to blend.
- Top with dry roasted peanuts and enjoy.
My daughter and I LOVED this! I used an 8-ounce can of crushed pineapple (well-drained), only two tablespoons mayo, brown sugar, the lime juice, but improvised on the chili paste! After driving to two grocery stores, I gave up on finding the Sambal Oelek, so I substituted one tablespoon Trader Joe's sweet chili sauce, and added 1/2 tablespoon Sriracha! Most likely the slaw would be at least 6+ stars with the correct ingredients! Made for Spring Photo Tag.
Loved this salad! I had to substitute schriacha for the sambal so only used half the amount. It was so spicy I had was teary, but gee whiz this salad is good. It's a great combination of sweet, crunchy, and spicy. Next time I may try the sweet chili sauce so more of my family can enjoy it too, but there will be a next time. I also appreciated the use of low fat, low sugar products. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
So tasty! I made just as directed except I didn't have peanuts so subbed toasted pistachios. Thanks for posting.