Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1 egg, beaten
- In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour and yeast; set aside.
- Drain pineapple in a sieve, pressing out as much juice as possible. Reserve juice in a 1-cup measure; add water to make 1/2 cup.
- Pour juice into small saucepan. Add sugar, salt and butter. Stir mixture constantly over medium-high heat until butter softens.
- Add juice mixture, banana and egg to flour mixture. Beat 1 minute with electric mixer on low speed.
- Scrape batter from sides of bowl; beat 2 minutes longer at high speed. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Stir in drained pineapple. Cover bowl with towel; let rise in a warm place, until doubled 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Stir down dough.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole with high sides or a souffle dish. Turn dough into dish.
- Cover with towel; let rise 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool in dish 5 minutes; remove from dish.