Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I happen to like beets, but many in my circle of friends don't, so I usually keep this recipe just for myself & a few guests who don't mind a taste-experiment! It comes from the 1967 'so good with FRUIT' cookbook from Better Homes and Gardens.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can pineapple tidbits
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (16 ounce) can beets, sliced, drained
- In saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch & salt.
- Stir in pineapple, cooking & stirring until mixture thickens & bubbles.
- Add butter, lemon juice & beets.
- Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes, until heated through.
Dear Syd, this was delicious as sidedish with plain rice to smoked trout!
My son said he likes such red pineapples! My daughter said that it would be good as dessert cutting down the salt and served on sweet coconut rice.
In any case this is really versatile recipe That is worth do try.
Thanks a lot for posting this gem!
Fantastic beets Sydney! We had along with our corned beef dinner and everyone loved them. DH and DD's want them again soon, so they will be made again!
Great flavor, the sauce is very thick, so I might cut the cornstarch down a teaspoon almost similar to a jelly consistancy, will make again but with some adjustments, thanks for sharing Syd!