Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Had these the other night-WOW-this one's going into the Christmas basket. Serve over vanilla ice cream or frozen banana yogurt or pound cake.
- 12 slightly green bananas
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 teaspoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 6 cinnamon sticks (1 to 1 1/2 inch)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Peel and slice bananas in 1 inch chunks and add to boiling syrup-all at once.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes-stirring very gently.
- Ladle into sterilized jars.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
The combination of the ginger and the bananas was a little weird. I had 5 people try it, and none thought that it was horrible, but all agreed that it tasted like bananas trying to be apples (ie, the spices were more suited for a apple recipe). If you like the combination of bananas and ginger, you might like this recipe. I definitly will not make it again though.
I made these today.To me they tastes liketo much lime I did not have fresh nutmeg so I used 1/8 teaspoon of ground. It only made 4 pints. From Irene on Dec 16 2009
I think this is great and I want to can some more. Many thanks for posting this recipe. Juanita