Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
A standard at many Island hotels. This recipe belongs to Hans Weiler, pastry chef at the Illakai Hotel,Honolulu..Thank You for sharing...
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In mixing bowl,cream sugar,shortening and oil.
- Add bananas, cream well.
- Add eggs, mix well. Combine all ingredients, mix till smooth at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Pour batter into greased or paper lined muffin pans. Bake 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.
I made this for my child's 2nd grade class Luau party. The kids love it and it wasn't too sweet. For half of the batch, I sprinkled coconut flakes before baking them. The coconut batch was delicious and beautiful. The toasted coconut flakes looked nice on top, and the taste went well with the rest of the ingredients.
This definately has a WONDERFUL hawaiian taste. These were easy to make, but the winner is the flavor ! Made recipe with no adjustments, and the combo of the vanilla and lemonjuice is a winner.