College Girl's Note:
Sutter Home's 2008 Build a Better Burger ® Winner!!!! "Da kine" is a key phrase in Hawaiian Pidgin, the language of the "locals." It can mean almost anything, but commonly refers to something good or genuine, or as in this case, "the best." This burger is as local as it gets, both in taste and ingredients. The patties are tender and juicy, thanks to fresh papaya and sweet onion, and are spiced with Hawaiian Portuguese sausage, which is so popular in Hawaii that it is on every breakfast menu (including McDonald’s). The accompanying salad employs heating oil to its smoking point, a local cooking method, resulting in a dynamite burger accompaniment. To complete the Hawaiian flavoring, I added a sweet glaze (Hawaiians love sweet and savory) and was inspired by our award-winning goat dairy to create a mouth-watering ginger-infused cheese spread. Ho, dat's da kine! Pairs with Zinfandel
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Ginger-Goat Cheese Spread
- 4 ounces goat cheese, Surfing Goat Dairy Rolling Green goat cheese (made with fresh garlic chives) or 4 ounces other garlic-flavored mild goat cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ginger, finely minced fresh
- 3 ounces sausage, spicy Hawaiian Portuguese (or other Portuguese sausage, such as linguica)
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1/3 cup papaya, minced ripe
- 1/3 cup sweet onion
- 5 teaspoons seasoning, McCormicks Gourmet Collection Asian-style Spiced Sea Salt (or 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt)
- 2/3 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons japanese shoyu, preferably Yamasa brand (soy sauce)
Hot Watercress Salad
- 3 tablespoons macadamia nut oil or 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 small Hass avocadoes, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, preferably Meyer variety
- 1/2 papaya, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups chopped watercress
- 2 sweet onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons japanese shoyu, preferably Yamasa brand (soy sauce)
- vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack
- 6 hamburger buns (or sandwich rolls, high-quality seeded, split)
- 1Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- 2To make the spread, combine the cheese, mayonnaise, and ginger in a small bowl. Cover and set aside.
- 3To make the patties, place the sausage in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl and add the chuck, papaya, onion, and spiced salt. Combine well, handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it. Form into 6 patties and refrigerate until ready to grill.
- 4To make the glaze, combine the sweet chili sauce and soy sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- 5To make the salad, pour the oil into a fire-proof skillet and heat on the grill until it reaches its smoking point. While the oil is heating, halve the avocado slices and place in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice and toss gently. Layer the papaya, watercress, onions, garlic, and pepper flakes over the avocado and carefully drizzle the hot oil over the top. Add the soy sauce and toss to combine.
- 6Brush the grill rack with oil. Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side, basting often with the glaze until the desired doneness is reached. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the buns cut sides down on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- 7To assemble the burgers, spread the goat cheese spread over the cut sides of the bun tops. Place a patty on each bun bottom and top with equal portions of the salad. Add the bun tops and devour.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hawaii Da Kine Burgers W/ Sweet-Chili Glaze & Goat Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (489 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 731.4
- Calories from Fat 361
- Total Fat 40.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 126.5 mg
- Sodium 1797.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 43.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
macadamia nut oil