Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great over chicken or noodles. Recipe by Leah.
- 1 (2 -3 lb) whole chickens, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in a resealable plastic bag. One at a time, put chicken pieces in bag, seal and shake to coat. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and saute chicken pieces until brown on all sides. Place chicken in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish and bake covered in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- To Make Sauce (while chicken bakes): In the same large skillet, saute onion and green bell pepper for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the pineapple, soy sauce and brown sugar. Mix together cornstarch and chicken stock and add to skillet. Stir all together and let simmer for 3 minutes until thick and clear. Pour sauce over chicken and bake 10 more minutes until tender.
This was a really great tasting dish. The sweet and sour sauce really added a lot of flavor and provided some tender roasted peppers and onions to enjoy as a vegetable side dish. I will defiitely make this again. Thanks, RavynLoony. Made for 2009 Fall Pick-A-Chef.