Recipe by dale!
The long simmering time makes this very tender and tasty. Try this for a different way to make a favourite recipe.
Top Review by MarieDanette
This was a good use of inexpensive cube steak. The flavor was not at all coffee-like, or my dear BF would have balked. He didn't. We're not gravy folks, so I didn't make the end step. It really was pretty good. Mine was done in only about 6 hrs on low so pay attention to your crockpot. I know you're supposed to be able to leave crocks alone but, mine seems to cook things faster than most cooking times instruct.
- 1 -2 lb boneless beef round steak
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim fat from meat and cut meat into serving-size pieces.
- In a pan brown meat on all sides in hot oil and drain off any fat.
- Place the onions in the bottom of a crock pot.
- Add the meat on top.
- Combine coffee, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaves, and oregano and pour over the meat and onions.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or cook on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove meat and onions to platter and keep warm.
- Measure 2 cups cooking juices and pour into a small saucepan.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Combine cold water and cornstarch and stir into saucepan with juices.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Serve sauce with steak.
- This goes well with mashed or baked potatoes and steamed green vegetables.