Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
The long simmering time makes this very tender and tasty. Try this for a different way to make a favourite recipe.
- 1 -2 lb boneless beef round steak
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Trim fat from meat and cut meat into serving-size pieces.
- In a pan brown meat on all sides in hot oil and drain off any fat.
- Place the onions in the bottom of a crock pot.
- Add the meat on top.
- Combine coffee, soy sauce, garlic, bay leaves, and oregano and pour over the meat and onions.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or cook on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove meat and onions to platter and keep warm.
- Measure 2 cups cooking juices and pour into a small saucepan.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Combine cold water and cornstarch and stir into saucepan with juices.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Serve sauce with steak.
- This goes well with mashed or baked potatoes and steamed green vegetables.
This was a good use of inexpensive cube steak. The flavor was not at all coffee-like, or my dear BF would have balked. He didn't. We're not gravy folks, so I didn't make the end step. It really was pretty good. Mine was done in only about 6 hrs on low so pay attention to your crockpot. I know you're supposed to be able to leave crocks alone but, mine seems to cook things faster than most cooking times instruct.
My daughter made this and it was wonderful, she was afraid it would taste like coffee, but it didn't and was very flavorful. We made it in the crockpot. It will remain in our crockpot recipe list
I made this on the stove top in a skillet.I pounded 1/4 cup of flour into the meat and browned it in 2Tbs. of oil. I then increased the soy sauce to 1/4 cup and added all of the other ingredients.I simmered it on the stove for 1&1/2 hours. The flour made a thick gravy,so I did not use the cold water with the corn starch.It was really quite tasty!We had this with mashed potatos.Great comfort food!