Recipe by Sharon123
French toast is often thought of as sweet, but many people like a savory version, here in the United States and in other countries. Here is a version I believe you will enjoy! I actually found this on a Walmart card in the grocery section!
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces havarti cheese, sliced
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- currant jelly (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs, milk, mustard and salt together in a large shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Divide Havarti cheese between 2 slices of bread. Top with remaining bread.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Gently dip assembled sandwiches into egg mixture, one side at a time. Slip into skillet.
- Cook over medium heat 3-5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Cut into quarters and serve with currant jelly if desired. Enjoy!