Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Not too spicy--nice change from the usual chili.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 cup green olives, halved
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- cooked white rice
- Heat oil in dutch oven, stir in onions and garlic, cook until softened.
- Add meats, cook until brown, breaking up lumps; drain fat.
- Add black beans, broth, tomatoes and spices, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, partially covered.
- Uncover and cook 30 minutes.
- Add olives and almonds and cook 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
This is the most flavorful, delish chili you will ever have. I made this when I was feeling ill, so I added a ton of cayenne pepper, but that isn't necessary. Enjoy!
The tastiest! A co-worker prepared this for a chili cook-off and it was the resounding winner of the day. A very "island-like", caribbean taste. LOVE IT!
We liked this. I cut the recipe in half and only used the ground beef. I found the ingredients to be a bit confusing since I wasn't sure what size cans of broth, beans and tomatoes you were talking about. I tasted b4 serving and felt it needed a little something to round out the flavors so I added a 1oz square of semi-sweet chocolate and I think this was a good addition. I also left out the almonds since we don't care for them. Today for lunch I topped my bowl with some fried plantains and thought they were great with it. All in all this was a good recipe that I may play some more with in the future. Thank you for posting.