Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Haupia is a local dessert served at our luaus. This was posted by J.Fisher in 'Hawaii / South Pacific for Visitors'. Cook and prep times are estimates.
- Pour one cup of coconut milk into a saucepan lover low heat.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch stirring into coconut milk, continuing on low heat stirring consistently until thickened.
- Add remaining coconut milk and whole milk and continue to heat until thickened.
- Pour into 8 inch square pan and chill until firm.
- Slice to desired size just before serving.
I admit that I don't know what Haupia should taste like.
I made the recipe as written with the exception of adding a bout 1/4 cup of flaked coonut to it.
I did not think the coconut flavor came out as strong as I would of liked it to.
My granddaughter said that some chocolate or graham crackers would have helped. It got me to thinking.
I can't wait to try this as a filling in a coconut pie. Add more coconut to it, put it in a graham cracker pie shell and swirl chocolate over the top.
Taste just like what I had while in Hawaii! I grew a bit impatient with the thickening process and added 1 more tablespoon of cornstarch. It turned out perfectly. Thanks Marisk - sorry this has taken me so long to review.
Great pudding... I was searching for a way to use leftover coconut milk and came across this. So I used 2/3 cup of coconut milk, 1/3 cup whole milk, 2 tablespoons granulated splenda, 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch. I did add a little cocoa to it... about 2 teaspoons. This made just enough pudding for two individual servings. So we both enjoyed it. Ohhhh, I also sprinkled a little toasted coconut on it.