Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
For a more authentic haupia using fresh coconut try this recipe. Cook and prep times are estimates...times may be way off. Figured squeezing milk out of coconut must take a long time...:)
- 3 -5 cups fresh coconut, grated, enough to yield 3 cups of coconut milk
- 2 cups boiling water
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Pour boiling water over grated coconut and let stand 15 minutes.
- Strain through pot strainer cloth or cheesecloth of at least double thickness, twisting cloth and squeeze out as much milk as possible.
- If this does not yield 3 cups milk, pour more boiling water over the coconut and squeeze through cloth again until you get the 3 cups.
- Mix cornstarch, sugar, salt and coconut milk and boil.
- Stir constantly until thickened and free of lumps, using whisk.
- Pour into shallow pan and let cool. Refrigerate to set.