Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These pudding delites are a Hawaiian Luau Dessert.
- 1 (12 ounce) can coconut milk
- 4 -6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 -6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract (vanilla or Coconut rum can be used)
- toasted coconut, for topping (optional)
- Pour coconut milk into saucepan.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water and blend well.
- Stir sugar mixture into coconut milk; cook and stir over low heat until thickened add coconut extract.
- Pour into 8-inch square pan and chill covered until firm.
- Cut into 2-inch squares. Garnish with toasted coconut.
Very easy haupia recipe. It set quickly and was creamy and smooth. I like mine a little sweeter than the recipe calls for, but that's an easy fix for next time. I made this for a luau and for ZWT 7. Thanks Rita!
This is great! What a wonderful naturally vegan treat! I deviated from the standard recipe and made a pie from the mixture. Instead of 3/4 C water I used 1/2 lime juice and 1/4 water. I used 6 Tb corn starch and 7 Tb. sugar (extra to counteract the sour of the lime). After it was done I poured it into a graham cracker crust and let it cool a bit before covering it and putting it in the fridge to set. Delicious!
The flavor was okay, but the recipe itself could be more specific. Such as cook on low heat until thick, well, how low? how thick? An hour on the stove at low heat and no change in consistency. Did turn the heat up slightly, but instead of thick, it got lumpy. So, I stirred and stirred until lumps were gone and seemed to be thick. Put it in the fridge, and the next day it was still just cold soup. So how many days until firm?