Recipe by Miss Annie
This is the recipe used by the Messilla Valley Chili Company in Hatch, New Mexico. It may be frozen.
Top Review by PaulaG
I can not believe that I haven't reviewed this before now! I have been making red chili sauce similar to this years and years and years. My Vita-Mix makes quick work on this recipe. Made for PARTY 2011.
- 12 dried hatch chiles, medium (Mesilla Valey) or 12 hatch chiles, hot (Mesilla Valey)
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, whole
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves, dried, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chile pods, remove stems and seeds.
- Place water and pods in a pan and heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer until pods are soft and pulpy (about 20 minutes).
- Remove pods and place in a blender, setting aside cooking liquid.
- Run through blender until pods form a smooth paste.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsps. oil.
- Add flour and brown lightly.
- Remove from heat, add chiles to flour mixture, contining to stir until lumps are dissolved.
- Return to heat, stir enough of the cooking liquid to make a gravy like consistency.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- May be frozen for future use.