Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a sauce that originates from the regions of southern New Mexico, where it is used for a topping for enchiladas and the like. Freezes well. Posted by request.
- Cook the onion in oil in a heavy saucepan until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, then stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the chiles, then whisk in the stock and the seasonings.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes until thickened but still pourable.
- May keep refrigerated for up to 5 days; freezes well.