Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A zingy twist to regular mac and cheese.
Make and share this Hatch Chili Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 1 cup asadero cheese, shredded (substitute Fontina or Monterey Jack if unavailable)
- 1 cup colby cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large green chilies, stemmed and seeded (Hatch chiles preferred, poblanos if they're unavailable)
- Preheat oven to 350F and spritz a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Puree the chile peppers in a food processor. (You may need to drizzle a bit of oil into the mixture to get the puree moving.).
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions to al dente tenderness and drain very well.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat.
- When melted, add the flour, salt, & pepper and whisk until bubbly and fully incorporated.
- Slowly add the milk, continuing to whisk until smooth.
- Bring the mixture to just under a simmer and begin slowly adding the cheese a handful at a time until all cheese is melted.
- Finally, add the chile puree to the mixture.
- Pour the cooked macaroni into the cheese sauce and stir to coat.
- Then transfer the entire mixture to a medium baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and lightly browned on top.