Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this idea from Cuisine at Home, but altered the recipe to produce a moister, cheesier version. This looks like a very fancy side dish, but is actually easy to do. Definately a unique way to serve potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spray a rectangular glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Prepare potatoes, peel and cut in half length wise and fan.
- To fan potatoes, place cut side down and slice in 1/8 inch slices.
- *Tip*Place a chopstick on each side to prevent slicing all the way through.
- Place breadcrumbs, grated cheese, olive oil, paprika, and salt in a food processor and process until mixed.
- Place potatoes in rectangular baking dish and open up fans.
- Drizzle with 1/3 cup butter, set aside remaining butter.
- Place breadcrumb mixture in a plate and with fans slightly open dip tops of potatoes in bread crumb mixture and return to baking dish.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and drizzle with remaining butter and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- May drizzle with additional butter if needed.
The potatoes came out wonderfully tender and moist, and my family really liked them. I guess I wasn't crazy about the combination of bread crumbs and potatoes.
We love Hasselback potatoes and this recipe was no exception. They came out perfectly cooked and seasoned. I did make a tiny substitution only because when I was making them I realized I was out of Parmesan cheese (the family used it all up recently and never told me) so I threw in a small handful of shredded mozzarella cheese. I have made these before tho so I do know the Parmesan cheese is just as good. Thank you
This sounds like a good recipe. I have read it several times and still cannot figure out whatyou mean by "fan" the potatoes. You do not say which direction to make the 1/8" cuts. It is not clear what you do with the chopsticks. Do you stick them in the potatoe? Where? If you place them on each side of the potatoe, how can you get the knife to the potatoe? Do you stick it in from the bottom, between the chopsticks? When the cutting is done, how do you open the fans? Raw potatoes are brittle. They will break.