A simple yet elegant side dish that's fun to make. I've had this recipe for years, but can't remember where it came from.
- Preheat oven to 450°F and oil a large glass baking dish.
- prepare peeled halved potatoes, placing each half, cut side down on a cutting board. Arrange two wooden skewers or chopsticks on both sides of potato and thinly slice across. (The sticks keep you from cutting all the way through the potato.).
- Process crumbs, cheese, 1 T. of oil, paprika, and salt in food processor and then transfer to shallow dish.
- Drizzle potatoes with remaining olive oil, carefully bend to fan out sliced sections, then roll tops in bread crumb mixture.
- Arrange potatoes in baking dish, cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking until until crumbs are brown and potatoes are cooked, about 15 more minutes.
On man these were so good, added garlic powder and lots of cayenne pepper to the breadcrumb mixture and used seasoned salt, cooked them in a foil pan on my outdoor grill, so delicious, thanks for sharing Polly
This took forever to cook, and never really got "done". It was a good idea, and I wanted it to work better, but it just didn't. I couldn't get the flavorings down into the potato enough. I wouldn't make them again.
These are called Armadillo Potatoes in my neck of the woods.