Recipe by Pepper Monkey
This is an unusual way to make potatoes. When done, the potatoes are a deep golden brown, crunchy and have a slight orange flavor. Found this in "Inspired Vegetarian" cookbook.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
For the glaze
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1 orange
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Cut each peeled potatoe in half lenghtwise.
- Place flat side down and cut down as if making very thin slices, but leave the bottom 1/2 inch intact.
- place potatoes in large roasting pan.
- Coat potatoes with melted butter using a pastry brush.
- Pour the olive oil around the potatoes and on the base.
- Bake potatoes for 40-50 minutes.
- basting occasionally.
- Meanwhile juice the orange and zest half of it.
- Place juice, rind, and sugar in a saucepan and heat on low.
- Stir until sugar is disolved.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes until thick.
- Remove from heat.
- When potatoes begin to brown, brush with orange glaze and return to the oven for 15 minutes or until potatoes are deep golden brown color.