Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted for ZWT6. If you can't get lamb subbing with more ground beef would work.
Make and share this Hashwe (Arabian Stuffed Vegetables) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb lamb, finely ground
- 1⁄2 lb beef, finely ground
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
Vegetables for stuffing (Choose one option)
- 4 medium tomatoes, tops cut off and hollowed for stuffing
- 6 medium zucchini, cut into 3-inch lengths, hollowed out with a corer, placed on end for stuffing
- 4 medium bell peppers, tops cut off and cored and seeded for stuffing
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
- In a 2-quart covered saucepan bring 2 cups of water to boil. Add the rice, return to the boil, cover, and turn off the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and cool before proceeding with the recipe.
- Mix cooked rice thoroughly with the stuffing ingredients.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium high heat and saute garlic for a few minutes.
- Add meat with spices and cook until browned.
- Fill the vegetables loosely with the rice and meat mixture. The rice will expand during cooking, so do not pack; leave room at the top or the sides.
- Arrange the vegetables in a covered, deep skillet.
- Simmer, covered, along with the water, tomato sauce, and lemon juice on low heat (30 minutes for bell peppers and zucchini; 20 minutes for tomatoes).
- Check sauce levels occasionally to see that it is not evaporating. If it gets low, add more hot water, tomato sauce and lemon as necessary.
I like the flavors in the recipe and the recipe would lend well to additions. I elected to use very lean ground beef & stuff green peppers. Once cooked the filling is very loose. I think next time I might mix with the raw meat & bake so things held together more like a stuffed pepper. I sprinkled the top of the peppers with Penzey's BBQ 3000 seasoning and thought it added a nice touch. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT6~ NA*ME