The Wallaces's Note:
Posted for ZWT6. If you can't get lamb subbing with more ground beef would work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb lamb, finely ground
- 1/2 lb beef, finely ground
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
Vegetables for stuffing (Choose one option)
- 4 medium tomatoes, tops cut off and hollowed for stuffing
- 6 medium zucchini, cut into 3-inch lengths, hollowed out with a corer, placed on end for stuffing
- 4 medium bell peppers, tops cut off and cored and seeded for stuffing
- 1In a 2-quart covered saucepan bring 2 cups of water to boil. Add the rice, return to the boil, cover, and turn off the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and cool before proceeding with the recipe.
- 2Mix cooked rice thoroughly with the stuffing ingredients.
- 3Melt butter in skillet over medium high heat and saute garlic for a few minutes.
- 4Add meat with spices and cook until browned.
- 5Fill the vegetables loosely with the rice and meat mixture. The rice will expand during cooking, so do not pack; leave room at the top or the sides.
- 6Arrange the vegetables in a covered, deep skillet.
- 7Simmer, covered, along with the water, tomato sauce, and lemon juice on low heat (30 minutes for bell peppers and zucchini; 20 minutes for tomatoes).
- 8Check sauce levels occasionally to see that it is not evaporating. If it gets low, add more hot water, tomato sauce and lemon as necessary.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hashwe (Arabian Stuffed Vegetables)
Serving Size: 1 (858 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.7
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 85.8 mg
- Sodium 241.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 29.9 g