Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted for ZWT6. If you can't get lamb subbing with more ground beef would work.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb lamb, finely ground
- 1⁄2 lb beef, finely ground
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
Vegetables for stuffing (Choose one option)
- 4 medium tomatoes, tops cut off and hollowed for stuffing
- 6 medium zucchini, cut into 3-inch lengths, hollowed out with a corer, placed on end for stuffing
- 4 medium bell peppers, tops cut off and cored and seeded for stuffing
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
- In a 2-quart covered saucepan bring 2 cups of water to boil. Add the rice, return to the boil, cover, and turn off the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and cool before proceeding with the recipe.
- Mix cooked rice thoroughly with the stuffing ingredients.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium high heat and saute garlic for a few minutes.
- Add meat with spices and cook until browned.
- Fill the vegetables loosely with the rice and meat mixture. The rice will expand during cooking, so do not pack; leave room at the top or the sides.
- Arrange the vegetables in a covered, deep skillet.
- Simmer, covered, along with the water, tomato sauce, and lemon juice on low heat (30 minutes for bell peppers and zucchini; 20 minutes for tomatoes).
- Check sauce levels occasionally to see that it is not evaporating. If it gets low, add more hot water, tomato sauce and lemon as necessary.
I like the flavors in the recipe and the recipe would lend well to additions. I elected to use very lean ground beef & stuff green peppers. Once cooked the filling is very loose. I think next time I might mix with the raw meat & bake so things held together more like a stuffed pepper. I sprinkled the top of the peppers with Penzey's BBQ 3000 seasoning and thought it added a nice touch. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT6~ NA*ME