Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is an adaptation (fairly close) to the Paula Deen recipe It is REALLY filling and quite delish. And VERY easy on the pocketbook.
- 44.37 ml butter
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 473.18-709.77 ml hash browns
- 6 breakfast sausage (casings removed)
- 532.32 ml milk
- 5 eggs
- 14.79 ml mustard
- 946.36 ml diced bread
- 591.47 ml grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Non stick spray an 8" X 8" oven safe pan/casserole dish.
- Remove breakfast sausages from casings and break up sausage meat with a fork.
- Pan fry until no longer pink - but not too crispy breaking appart the bigger bits.
- In a separate pan - melt butter and saute the onions for approx 3 mins - until they just begin to be opaque - add the hashbrowns and fry for approximately 5 - 6 minutes stirring frequently for even cooking.
- In a bowl - combine the eggs, milk, mustard and salt and pepper (and/or any seasonings you like).
- When your hashbrowns are done - put them evenly on the bottom of your casserole dish. Then layer the bread cubes. Next comes the sausage meat - distribute it evenly over the bread bits. Now pour the milk and eggs over the entire dish. Top with cheese. Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into it.
- This recipe serves 4 people - one large piece each. This meal is filling and can very easily be doubled. Try other cheeses for deeper richer flavors.
Made the recipe to a tee and it wasn't as tasty as I thought it'd be. Very eggy and was more like a quiche than a casserole.