Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
One morning, my sister and I were in the mood for a big breakfast. However, we wanted something a little different to get us out of the breakfast rut. This was my result. I prepared this again the following weekend and the whole family loved it!
- 4 -5 medium potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1⁄4 lb breakfast sausage
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 7 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄8 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- In a large skillet add the sausage and cook until most of it is brown.
- Drain and return to pan.
- Add the grated potatoes, onion, and salt to the skillet.
- Cook on medium heat until the hashbrowns are golden brown.
- Push the mixture to one side of the pan and scramble the eggs in the empty space.
- Once cooked, stir them into the hashbrowns.
- Add the hot sauce, tomatoes, and cheese.
- Stir well and serve immediately.
Although I pretty much followed the recipe, I did cut it in half for just the 2 of us, used only a couple of drops of hot sauce, then seasoned it with a small shake of salt & some lemon pepper! Worked just fine, & we had a very satisfying breakfast! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]
I'm just leaving a comment because something went wrong and I can't see any reason for that other than freak circumstances. I followed the directions through #4 but the potatoes never cooked. They just got mushy and goopy. I wonder if I should have pressed some of the excess moisture out of them first. This is a simple recipe, similar to many others I've made in the past, so no reason it shouldn't have worked. My family ate the potatoes and sausage with the eggs and other ingredients as toppings, or on the side. I didn't take a photo, cause it wasn't pretty to look at. lol I'm really glad Starry's photo is so beautiful! We'll try this recipe again another day because the thing that attracted me to it was the fresh potatoes instead of frozen hash browns. Thanks for sharing your creation, Tori! Made and enjoyed for Fall 2011 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! :D http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=363796&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Nice and filling! This is a very enjoyable dish and easy to prepare. I loved that it uses homemade hashbrowns. Thanks for sharing! PAC Fall '11