Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 20 mins
This recipe was prepared on Paula Deen's show recently and looks like a delicious breakfast dish to serve for company.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 lb bulk sausage, mild, hot (or 1 lb sage sausage)
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 cups cubed French bread or 8 cups Italian bread, crusts removed
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a deep 13 by 9-inch casserole dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion and saute over medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the hash browns and break apart.
- Saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- In a second frying pan, saute the sausage, breaking apart large clumps. When the sausage is cooked through, remove it from pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and mustard, briskly to blend.
- To assemble, spread the onions and hash browns evenly at the bottom of the greased dish.
- Place the bread cubes evenly on top of hash browns.
- With a slotted spoon distribute sausage as the third layer.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture over these layers.
- Add Parmesan as the next layer, while then adding the Cheddar.
- *Cook's Note: Save a few tablespoons of cheddar for the last 10 minutes of baking, where you can add a fresh topping of melted cheddar.
- Bake the casserole, uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
Good, I use a little less of the hashbrowns and unions