Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
My family would rather have their potato salad made this way than any other and it's so easy I sure don't mind. I can't remember where I learned this but I've been doing it this way for years. No peeling, chopping, boiling, etc. Except for the potatoes I'm just making a guess on the amounts listed. I never measure but I had to put in something to get the recipe posted.
- 1 (2 lb) bag frozen hash browns or 1 (2 lb) bag O'Brien potatoes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- Poke some holes in the hash brown package with a fork; microwave on High 6 minutes.
- Shake bag to "stir" potatoes; microwave another 6 minutes.
- Open bag and pour into a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, chopped onion, pickle relish, chopped boiled eggs. (Use whatever combination your family likes in their potato salad.).
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
I had never made potato salad before because I was too lazy to do all the work. When I saw this recipe I just had to try it. I loved the ease of the recipe but this turned out just OK for us. I followed the recipe exactly as written and it was on the dry side. I ate it but everyone else tried it but said they didn't care for it.
Brilliant concept! I also used my usual recipe, merely substituting the hash browns for the tedious peeling, boiling, chopping of fresh potatoes. I've passed this idea along to others who also love it!
Loved the ease of this potato salad. You can fix it anyway you want your salad- but starting with frozen hashbrowns?? GENIUS!!!