Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is another of my mother in-laws recipes. I absolutely love this. Most times I need to double the recipe. I usually add more cheese than what is called for as well.
- 2 lbs frozen hash brown potatoes (thawed)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter or 2 -3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- salt and pepper
- Place thawed potatoes in large bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup melted butter to potatoes.
- Add in sour cream, cheese, soup, onion salt and pepper. mix well.
- Place in 9 x 13 greased baking dish.
- Mix the crushed corn flakes and 2-3 tablespoons melted butter together. sprinkle on top of potatoes.
- Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes.
Great casserole. I have had a few different versions of casseroles like this before, but I really enjoyed this one. The corn flakes on top made a nice crunch. I think I'd like it with cream of chicken soup too. This is something you could safely take to family get togethers or potlucks and bring home an empty dish. Thanks for posting!
Saturday Lunch at the Farm had settled down a bit, and I glanced over at the dishes waiting to be done. There was one dish that was clean. Oh that is nice. An already spanking clean dish. My gosh what in that? There is not even as much as a crumb left. This just happened to be Hash Browns Potato Casserole. Who wouldn't just love this dish? Well obviously we all did. There are many aspects of this dish that just worked together, harmoniously. Potatoes of ANY kind will do, I didn't have frozen hash browns, however; I used my mandoline to produce the same shredded effect with some red potatoes that needed to be used up. Sour cream used was light, and used sodium reduced cream of mushroom soup. I wanted the onions cooked a bit first, so I just quickly sauteed the onion and potatoes for about 4 minutes, then put into the baking casserole dish for the rest of the ingredients to be added. Added the corn flakes to the top as instructed, and all was well with the world. I added a bit of green onion to the top along with the cornflakes and it tasted well.......like a very clean dish. Thanks, ladygwyn will absolutely make often.