Recipe by MammaBear23
A casserole that you can prepared the night before. May be served as a main dish or as a side. Use cheddar in place of the four cheese blend. I personally have not tried this recipe yet but plan to include it in my menu as a side dish very soon. I believe this comes from Cooking Light and has been recommended to me. I'm putting it here on Zaar for safe keeping. Prep time is estimated and does not include refrigeration time.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen southern style hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup pre-shredded four cheese blend, divided
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a large skillet on medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and crumble.
- Pour off the drippings, add the onion and garlic to pan and cook for 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Stir frequently.
- Add the potatoes. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl combine crumbled bacon, 1/4 cup cheese, green onions, sour cream, salt, pepper, and soup.
- Add potato mixture and toss gently to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup cheese over the top and cover with foil coated with cooking spray.
- Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove casserole from the refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes while your oven preheats.
- Bake covered at 350º for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 additional minutes or until bubbly around edges and cheese begins to brown.