Top Review by kris day
Good, straight forward side dish. However, the author of the recipe forgot to list the sour cream in the list of ingredients. Thanksgiving morning I was preparing my casserole and got to the part where I was supposed to add it. I substituted some extra broth to make up for it, but it still ended up dry and gooey. My advice, don't try anything new on a holiday.
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup lowfat swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces fat free sour cream
- 32 ounces frozen southern style hash brown potatoes, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat a medium saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Add onion, and saute 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add flour, mustard, and salt; stir well, and cook an additional minute. Remove form heat; gradually add milk and broth, stir in with a wire whisk until blended.
- Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; add cheeses an pepper, stirring until cheeses melt. Stir in sour cream.
- Combine cheese mixture and potatoes; stir well.
- Spoon into a 13 x 9 x 2" baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and bake at 350: for 35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 35 minutes.