Recipe by CookieMonster2323
Great for brunches, potlucks, and special occasion side dishes! I had really looked forward to reviewing "Hashbrown Casserole" the way we've always enjoyed making it, but I couldn't find it listed with cream of potato soup. Since it's one of my very favorite foods and my favorite way to make it, I decided to post the recipe myself. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!
Top Review by Lakerdog2
Never seen one of these hashbrown casseroles using cream of potato. I loved it, much more than the traditional ones that call for cream of chicken/mushroom. I put bacon in too, and it was yummy.
- 1 (1 1/2-2 lb) bag frozen hash browns, thawed (I use Ore-Ida)
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of potato soup
- 12 ounces sour cream
- 8 -16 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (as much as you'd like, we like it really cheesy!)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion (optional)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine thawed hash browns, soup, sour cream, and onion (if using) in a large bowl and mix until the hash browns are well coated.
- Stir in cheddar cheese gradually until desired amount is reached and then sprinkle with a little salt and pepper for the last few turns of your spoon.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 9x13 cake pan and gently pat down to flatten.
- Sprinkle the top with just a bit more pepper (mainly for presentation, can also add a bit more salt if desired) and then cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 hour, then uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!