Recipe by Nana Lee
This is a casserole made with hamburger or vegetarian substitute for hamburg. It looked so simple and yummy I couldn't resist trying it. With a few adjustments, it turned out great. Good for freezing also.
Top Review by Kim127
DH absolutely loved this! He ate almost 1/2 the pan himself. I thought this was really good too and if you take into account the little it takes to prepare, it makes for one terrific supper. We had served it with green beans and then realized if we had corn instead, we would have the makings for a quick shepards pie. Thanks Nana Lee!!!
- 7 cups frozen hash brown potatoes (*)
- 1 lb ground beef (**)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion, cooked
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (***)
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese (1 1/2 cups) or 6 ounces colby cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9-inch pan.
- Line the prepared pan with frozen hash browns.
- Brown onion with burger in non-stick pan.
- Mix the soups with burger-onion mixture. Spread carefully over hash browns. Cover with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- To freeze this I divide it into portions appropriate to my appetite, usually 6 for this size pan.
- Wrap the way you usually do to freeze or freeze on cookie sheet and vacuumn seal each frozen portion.
- To re-heat frozen portions you can use your microwave. Either thaw first or from frozen. Time varies due to wattage of ;your microwave.
- You can also reheat in conventional oven from frozen or thawed state. Use 350 degree oven, cover loosely with foil and heat fo about 20 minutes.
- If using vacuumn sealed bags you could actually boil in the bag according to your particular sealer directions.
- *I recommend using measuring cups, as I found the frozen 32 oz bag to actually contain 9 cups.
- **Frozen Ground Meatless Burger Crumble.
- ***Use two cans (10 3/4 oz each) of the Cream of Mushroom, if a vegetarian.
- Yields: 8 servings, points per serving: 5.
- Nutritional Info: (per serving) 246 calories, 7 g. fat, 6.4 g. fiber.
- Adapted from: Jaime Jeroszko; Jamie's Kitchen.