Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great for brunch or a side for dinner!
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen hash browns, thawed (the diced kind)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
- 1⁄2 cup melted margarine
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Spoon into a casserole dish.
- Combine the cornflakes and melted margarine. Sprinkle over top and bake for 45 minutes.
Diana, thank you for posting this wonderful potato casserole! The mixture of crushed corn flakes and melted butter atop was the crowning glory. I've had two dinner parties in the past week and served it at both dinners...everyone loved it. It is also good as leftovers, I just heated them up without a cover and they were as crispy on top as they should have been. I even had a container of them in the freezer from the first dinner party and when I defrosted and reheated them, they tasted just wonderful! This is a real winner. Be sure to defrost them thoroughly before putting the recipe together.
I always hate to "rain on the parade" when others love a recipe, but my family found this too bland and tasting too much of canned soup. We frequently don't care for things that have canned soup as an ingredient, so maybe this is just our personal hang up.
This is a recipe I have had before. I didn't know how to make it for years. So when I found it on this site, my family tried it and loves it. They have requested it again, so we're having it again tonight. It is truely a wonderful side dish. Thanks K.S. Oklahoma.