Recipe by Bergy
This is such a versatile dish - great for Brunch, Lunch or Dinner. I like to top it off with grated cheddar or parmesan cheese . You may also try buttered crumbs on top or plain the way this recipe reads. Garlic & jalapeños are optional I like a bit of zip. This could be vegetarian if you leave out the corned beef. I think of this as a base recipe that you can play with and use up a lot of left overs. Put it together early in the day and just pop it in the oven 55 minutes before serving
Top Review by Rita~
This is so different! A hearty meal! Good for a day like today(rainy).I used cubed hash browns. 1 jalapeno was enough kick I do leave in some seeds for heat. Garlic is a must in my cooking so added it. I couldn`t find cream of onion so I used cream of mushroom. And I used left-over corned beef from St. Patty`s day meal. I really liked this. A Keeper!
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted in an oven proof dish (margarine)
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen hash browns, thawed (shredded kind)
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped (optional)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter (margarine, in addition to the original amount)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of onion soup
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Tightly pack the hash browns into an oven proof skillet (melted butter already in there) cook over low heat until the bottom is browned Sprinkle with salt & pepper, set aside.
- In another skillet melt the additional 3 tbsp butter (margarine) stir fry the cabbage, onion, carrot, green pepper, Garlic (if using) & jalapeños (if using). Only stir fry until they are just heated throughout and the cabbage is tender (do not over cook- you want them still crispy) approx 5 minutes (more if you like your veggies cooked more). Combine the beaten eggs, soup, mustard, horseradish & mustard.
- Stir in the flour.
- Mix the egg mixture with the veggies.
- Put the corned beef on top of the hash brown crust; pour in the veggie mixture. Bake 45 minutes in a 350°F oven or until set.
- Let stand 10 minutes; cut into wedges & serve.