Recipe by Skeeter
A hearty meal that is very delicious. Also from Quick Cooking magazine. Prep time is approximate.
Top Review by AprilShowers
I thought this was a pretty mediocre dish. Seemed like it needed something - some sort of sauce or something to hold the meat and vegetable mixture together. It was pretty dry. From start to finish it took about an hour and just wasn't worth it in the end. My kids ate the meat and potatoes part okay, but weren't too keen on the veggies. I didn't save the 3/4 pan full of leftovers because I knew they wouldn't eat it the second day if they barely touched it when it was fresh. And I didn't care to have any of the leftovers myself. I followed the recipe to a T using frozen carrots, peas and corn as my veggies.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic until beef is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetables.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch pie plate.
- Combine topping ingredients; spoon evenly over the meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.