Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
a little turn on the "stand by" cracker barrell hashbrown casserole. Twisted and turned to suit my tastes as well as my kids. It is very creamy with full flavor! the soup is not 2 cans of 2 different soups, it is actually a can of soup that is both mushroom and chicken--and that is really what it is called.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons butter (almost a whole stick)
- 1⁄2 lb grated colby-monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cancampbells cream of chicken and mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons sour cream
- 1 2⁄3 lbs frozen southern style hash brown potatoes (about 1/2 of a 2Lb 14 oz bag)
- In deep heavy cast iron skillet heat 3 Tbsp butter.
- Sauté onion in butter until translucent.
- Melt in remaining butter. Turn off heat and remove from burner.
- Stir in soup, garlic powder and sour cream and mix well.
- Add hash browns; mix thoroughly to coat.
- Fold in cheese.
- Place in preheated 350°F oven.
- Bake uncovered 45 minutes or until brown on top.
this is much better than cracker barrel's it is so much creamier. i think others are misreading somehow because it doesn't call for 2 cans it only calls for one can of soup. i thought it was great and will make it again. thanks for sharing
This is fantastic! I made Recipe #44746 to use in place of store brand soup and I used half cheddar cheese and half monterey jack cheese. This is what I had on hand. I didn't use the garlic powder,only reason was because I forgot to add it. I don't think that hurt anything cause we thought this hashbrown bake was very delicious! One I am sure to make again :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!!
I've tried quite a few variations of this recipe. This is by far my favorite. I did however, change a few things. I didn't want it to be super creamy, so instead of two cans of cream soup, I only used one can of cream of chicken. I also strained the butter and onion mixture after sauting it. I didn't want to have chunks of onion in the dish, and my food chopper was broken. It came our great and I will definately be making it again!