Prep 15 mins
Cook 33 mins
I enjoy this casserole! It's a any easy dish to put together. (Just be sure to allow time for the hash browns to thaw, before assembling this dish together.)
- 5 cups frozen hash browns, thawed (5 cups = 16-ounces)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (or chicken, or celery)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (3 ounce) package French-fried onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 jumbo size franks, cut lengthwise (but not cut all the way through)
- Combine potatoes, soup, sour cream, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.
- Spread in a greased 2-1/2 to 4-quart size baking dish. (I used a 4-quart size oval baking dish).
- Top with the partially sliced franks (slice size up).
- Cover, and bake 30 minutes in a 400 degree oven. (I did not cover the casserole, and it turned out great! But I think that's because I used jumbo sized franks, so they didn't over bake).
- Remove, uncover, and top with the other 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and the French fried onions.
- Place casserole back in the oven, (uncovered) and continue baking for 2-3 more minutes. (Just until the cheese has melted, and French fried onions are lightly browned).
The taste was okay...not really thrilling. My kids liked it, hubby thought is was alright, but claimed that it was like someone just threw a bunch of ingrediants together to make a dish. No really organization to the flavors..The french fried onions were kind of strange..It was easy to make though. I am only writing this to be honest. Sorry.
Kids really liked this one. I liked it because it was so easy to put together. I used cream of mushroom soup but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Thanks for the recipe.
Being a fan of all the ingredients, I was a bit disappointed in the overall effect. My kids ate it but didn't seem overly excited about it.