Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is what comfort food is all about. This is a very versatile dish. It is great for a casual brunch or dinner as well as a wonderful side dish for a formal meal along side a baked ham or roast. I've taken this to many potlucks - only to come home with an empty dish.
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted (see variations listed below)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (2 lb) package frozen southern style hash brown potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In large bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, and garlic salt. Add potatoes, onions, and cheddar cheese; mix well. Pour into a greased 13x9x2 baking dish. Top with Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 for 60 minutes or until potatoes are tender and cheese melted.
- *These are the “home style or southern style” (not the shredded) potatoes.
- Other soups such as cream of chicken, cream of celery, or cream of mushroom can be used – or a combination of any of the two of them. (I prefer a cream of chicken and a cream of celery).
- For a change of topping try using 2 cups crushed cornflakes that have been mixed with ¼ to 1/3 cup melted butter. I’ve used fresh bread crumbs with the melted butter as well.
Yummy! I used 1 can cream of mushroom and 1 can cream of potato and added frozen green beans. I also added fresh garlic and salt & pepper. Very easy and yummy, thanks for posting!