Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
In 'The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever' by Beatrice Ojakangas
Make and share this Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (mild or sharp)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Separate bacon slices and arrange on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Place in the oven as it preheats and bake until the bacon is crisp, 10-12 minutes; drain off the fat.
- Using 1 tablespoon butter, coat a shallow 3-quart casserole.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a nonstick skillet.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and saute over medium heat, stirring, for 5-10 minutes, until the onions are tender.
- Arrange the potatoes in the bottom of the dish, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top with the cooked bacon slices, then the onions and mushrooms.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the milk and parsley.
- Pour over the casserole and top wih the cheese.
- Bake the casserole, uncovered, for 45 minutes, or until set and the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.