Prep 8 hrs 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Laced with hash browns, hot ground pork sausage, custard, cheddar cheese, and baking mix, this easy casserole is a sure-fire hit at pot lucks, holidays, or family gatherings. Make it the night before since it needs to chill for 8 hours before baking.
- 1 lb ground hot pork sausage
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup baking mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- picante sauce or green chili sauce
- sour cream
- fresh parsley sprig
- Cook sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until meat crumbles. Stir in hash browns, and cook 5 to 7 minutes or untl sausage is no longer pink and potatoes are lightly browned. Drain mixture on paper towels; spoon into a greased 13-x9-inch baking dish.
- Stir together eggs, cheese, and next 4 ingredients; pour evenly over sausage mixture, stirring well. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Bake, uncovered with nonstick foil, at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 to 15 minutes more or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven, and let stand 5 minutes. Serve with desired toppings. Garnish, if desired.