Recipe by charlie #5
Sour Rabbit and Gravy. My ancestors are from Alsace. Imagine this is a very old recipe. My grandmother made it often. She served it with my recipe for "Cannon Balls" (potato dumplings). When I was a kid, my mother would try to get my brother and I to eat rabbit (what we felt were our pets). To trick us into eating it, she would buy a pair of chicken wings from the grocer and cook along with the rabbit. Moms can be so tricky. Unsure of yield.
- 1 rabbit
- 1 1⁄2 cups vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- The rabbit meat should be placed in a deep bowl and covered with the vinegar and water.
- Add the onion, salt, pepper, a few whole cloves and bay leaves.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator.
- Let soak two days, turning several times.
- Remove meat and drain - reserving liquid.
- Brown pieces of meat in hot butter.
- Gradually add some of the liquid that the meat was pickled inches
- Cover and let simmer until the meat is tender about 30-45 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in the sour cream to the gravy if desired.