Prep 48 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Not sure if this is the traditional Hasenpfeffer but it is definitely delicious. I got this about 20 years ago from a small cookbook with recipes from inns around the US. No idea which inn this came from. Takes a long time but it is soooo worth it.
- 5 -6 lbs rabbits, cut up or 5 -6 lbs may substitute chicken
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions
- 1 cup white mushrooms, quartered or 1 cup mushroom
- 4 slices bacon, cut up
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 12 peppercorns
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- 1 cup celery leaves
- Mix marinade ingredients together.
- Add rabbit pieces and store in refrigerator for 2 days.
- After rabbit has marinated, in a large pot, cook onions, mushrooms and bacon until onions are soft.
- Remove vegetables and bacon.
- Add butter to pan.
- Remove rabbit from marinade and pat dry.
- Strain the marinade and save.
- Sprinkle salt over rabbit, dip in flour and brown in the butter.
- When all of the rabbit pieces are browned, return veggies and bacon to pan, pour strained marinade over rabbit and veggies.
- Cover and simmer until tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove rabbit from pan and place on a heated platter. Stir salt and flour into sour cream, add to sauce in pan and stir well.
- Pour sauce over rabbit.
My family and I absolutely LOVE this recipe. I lost it years ago and when I did a search on the ingredients I remembered, I found it. I came from a small recipe book put out by Benson & Hedges of all small inns. Thank you so much for posting it so I could find it again. I am making the marinade tomorrow.
I make this every year on my husband's birthday. He absolutely loves it. Thank you so much!!
This is VERY close to the original recipe. Just add a couple tablespoons of vinegar at the flour/ sour cream step, and you're there. Trust me on the vinegar. I'm not a vinegar fan, but hasenpfeffer is NOT complete without it.