2 hrs 25 mins
A savory casserole from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 rabbit, dressed and cut into serving pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup broth (reserved from cooking the rabbit)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Place meat into a stockpot and barely cover with water.
- 2Cook until tender, about an hour and a half.
- 3While meat is cooking, mix potatoes and egg together.
- 4Saute vegetables until translucent.
- 5Soak bread in cold water and squeeze dry.
- 6Add potato mixture, stir in remaining stuffing ingredients and mix well.
- 7Drain meat, separate from bones and cut into small pieces.
- 8Make sauce by combining the flour, seasonings and broth; cook until thickened.
- 9Butter a casserole and put a layer of the potato stuffing in the bottom, followed by a layer of meat and a spoon of sauce.
- 10Continue layers until casserole dish is filled.
- 11Bake at 350F for 25 minutes.
- 12Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Rabbit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hasenkucha - Rabbit Cake
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.1
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 46.9 mg
- Sodium 1030.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: