Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
A savory casserole from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 rabbit, dressed and cut into serving pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup broth (reserved from cooking the rabbit)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (hot)
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 quart dry bread, cubed
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- pepper, to taste
- Place meat into a stockpot and barely cover with water.
- Cook until tender, about an hour and a half.
- While meat is cooking, mix potatoes and egg together.
- Saute vegetables until translucent.
- Soak bread in cold water and squeeze dry.
- Add potato mixture, stir in remaining stuffing ingredients and mix well.
- Drain meat, separate from bones and cut into small pieces.
- Make sauce by combining the flour, seasonings and broth; cook until thickened.
- Butter a casserole and put a layer of the potato stuffing in the bottom, followed by a layer of meat and a spoon of sauce.
- Continue layers until casserole dish is filled.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.