Recipe by Bergy
This is a true meal in one pot! Perfect for cold Winter evenings Delicious soup. Serve the potatoes & sausages with a small green salad on the side, & crusty French bread (Prep time does not include overnight soaking of the beans)
Top Review by Sackville
This is such a lovely winter meal. It is a rotten day outside but this dinner warmed us up quickly and it wasn't hard or expensive to make at all. I have to confess though, I realised towards the end of the cooking time that this was going to be a great all-in-one-bowl meal so we didn't serve the soup separately from the potatoes and sausages. Instead, we spooned the whole mixture into wide bowls (I added a touch of cornstarch to thicken it) and just had it like that. Thanks for a superb recipe!
- 1 lb white navy beans, soaked overnight
- 4 quarts water
- 1 cabbage, small,chopped coarsley
- 1 lb green beans, cut ito 3 pieces each
- 2 leeks, cleaned and chopped,use 1 inch of the green part
- 2 turnips, peeled,chopped into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 carrots, cleaned,sliced
- 12 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs thyme (1/2 tsp dried)
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 6 Italian sausages or 6 oktoberfest sausages or 6 smoked sausage
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, chopped
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bit of cheesecloth tie in the bayleaf, thyme, parsley.
- Drain and rinse the navy beans after soaking them overnight.
- Pour water into a large pot and add all the veggies except the potatoes, simmer covered for apprx 1 1/2 hours add more water as needed Add potatoes, herb bag, sausages,garlic& bacon.
- Simmer slowly for another hour and 15 minutes.
- Check the seasoning& adjust.
- Remove spice bag.
- Remove the sausages& potatoes, keep warm.
- simmer soup for 15 minutes longer.
- Serve hot with french bread,.
- After the soup course serve the potatoes& sausages.