1/2 Photos of Harvest Yellow & Zucchini Squash & Beef Casserole
This is a yummy, warming casserole that is meant to be a side dish, but since it has meat in it, can also be served as a main dish. This is the version I came up with after significantly reducing some of the heavier ingredients, that were in the original version I saw on Lucy Classic Cajun & Cuisine, a PBS cooking program. But don't let that scare you - this is not a spicy dish at all. I make this often in the end of summer to use up fresh squash. If you don't have both types of squash, just use 2 of whichever type you do have.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small summer squash, unpeeled, sliced into thick rounds (crookneck)
- 1 small green zucchini, unpeeled, sliced into thick rounds
- 59.14 ml water
- 59.14 ml butter (or less, to taste*) or 59.14 ml margarine (or less, to taste*)
- 226.79 g lean ground beef
- 236.59 ml sweet onion, chopped (such Vidalia, Walla Walla, or Maui)
- 2 large eggs
- 118.29 ml Miracle Whip (light is OK) or 118.29 ml mayonnaise (light is OK)
- 118.29 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 473.18 ml cooked hot white rice (I use Jasmine or long grain)
- 118.29 ml Ritz cracker crumbs (or less to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1Cook sliced squashes in a small pot with the water until tender but not mushy; drain and return squash to the pot.
- 2Add butter and allow it to melt in the pot and sauté all together for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, over medium to medium-low heat.
- 3Meanwhile, spray a large deep skillet with nonstick spray and cook the beef and onions.
- 4Drain any fat, then season meat mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Add the squash to the beef using a slotted spoon, and reduce heat to low.
- 6Beat together eggs, then whisk in mayo- add this mixture to the skillet.
- 7Stir in the cheese and the cooked rice.
- 8Pour into a large oval casserole and sprinkle with enough cracker crumbs to cover.
- 9Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for about 15-20 minutes.
- 10Note: The original version of this recipe called for a whopping 1 whole stick of butter!
- 11I have always used at most the 1/2 stick and as little as 2 tablespoons.
- 12-it is based on your preferences.
- 13I also always use real, unsalted butter.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Harvest Yellow & Zucchini Squash & Beef Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.0
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 91.7 mg
- Sodium 268.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 12.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Ritz cracker crumbs