Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this on the back of a package of wild rice I bought today. It sounds phenomenal, can't wait to try it this fall. The rice measurement is in ounces, but wild rice typically comes more or less 8oz. to a package. This would make a great stuffing or companion for roasted acorn squash.
- 8 ounces wild rice
- 2 1⁄3 cups water or 2 1⁄3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 leeks, sliced (white & pale green parts)
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, fresh, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- salt & pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring liquid to boil and stir in rice. Cover with lid, reduce heat to a fast simmer. Cook 45-60 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand covered 10 minutes. Fluff with fork.
- While rice is almost ready, use a separate pan to saute leeks in butter for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, saute 2 more minutes.
- Stir in nuts, cranberries and beans. Gently add cooked rice. Serve hot.